Paving the Pathway to a Promising Future

Divorce Attorney or Marriage Counselor: Who Should You Call?

Property Division Tagsassets

Divorce Attorney or Marriage Counselor: Who Should You Call? 

Relationships and marriages go through fights, arguments, and disagreements. When the going gets tough, couples have to face an impossible decision: keep trying or call it quits? Which answers another question- who should you call: a divorce attorney or a marriage counselor? Depending on where the relationship is and how the couple is feeling, they could call either-or. 

Divorce Attorney  

Couples should consult a divorce attorney when they want to split up, whether it is amicable or not. Divorce attorneys should be consulted when couples genuinely start to consider going their separate ways. They may still resolve their issues, but if not, a divorce attorney acts as a backup plan. A divorce attorney can help fix many problems, such as: 

  • Financial discourse and disclosure requirements 
  • Custody agreements
  • The division of assets and property 
  • The division of retirement benefits

Divorce attorneys aren’t just for couples who can’t stand each other or had a bad break up; they are for exes who are friendly with each other, too. They provide a professional service that will help exes keep the peace in their relationships and split their assets fairly. 

Couples should call divorce attorneys when they begin to feel there is potential for them to split. They can do this before or after marriage counseling depending on how they feel presently about the relationship. 

Marriage Counseling 

Couples don’t have to be a rocky place to go to marriage counseling. Marriage counseling can help couples learn a better way of communicating. A third person, with an unbiased perspective, can provide clarity to couples. In this circumstance, couples can decide if they want to consider a divorce. If they do, they can call a divorce attorney and get started in taking the next step in the closure of their relationships. 

If couples are questioning if they should call a marriage counselor or divorce attorney, they should probably call a marriage counselor. Recognizing a problem is the biggest step in solving it. Marriage counselors can help couples work through their issues or help them determine if those issues are worth working through. Marriage counseling can lead to a divorce attorney and vice versa. Couples going through a divorce can even visit a marriage counselor to discuss how they feel about the changes happening in their lives and where they expect their relationship to go after the divorce. 


Overall, there are benefits to marriage counseling and hiring a divorce attorney. People who recognize these are their options are on the right path. Whether the marriage does or doesn’t survive, at least they’ll have received the help they need. Divorce attorneys and marriage counselors are both there to help couples progress to whatever the next step in their relationship is. They’ll help couples move forward in whatever direction is best for them. 

Our Firm Specializes in Southern California Divorces Complicated by Narcissism and other Mental Illnesses. Do you have a divorce or family law question?

Call our office today at 949-889-1227. We specialize in helping clients who have divorce and family law matters complicated by gaslighting, narcissism, bipolar disorder, and other psychological challenges. John A. Bledsoe is Orange County’s premier divorce attorney and a certified family law specialist. Our firm offers a confidential initial case evaluation.  to learn more.

Content note: This blog is made available by the law firm publisher for educational purposes only as well as to give you general information and a general understanding of the law, not to provide specific legal advice. By using this blog site you understand that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the Blog/Web Site publisher. The Blog/Web Site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.

Related Articles